Artist Statement
While my taste is always changing, I continue to find inspiration in the same things I was when I was a child/teenager. I love bright colors, prints, saturation, excitement, and intensity. I think that it's easy to become dull if you're not stimulated, which is why I feel so inspired by the gaudy, the loud, the fun, and the vulnerability of artists like Florence Given, who is an artist I discovered on Instagram. Like me, she is inspired by the 70s, women, female success, independence, power, and honesty. Tracey Emin, another artist I admire, often uses her love life, her trauma, and her vulnerability in order to share her message through her art. I love movies and television shows that force me to question myself and to think about my purpose. The Bold Type, a show on Freeform, is about young women like myself in the workforce. It focuses on their journalism, fashion, and social media positions at a magazine company as well as their romantic and platonic relationships.
I am drawn to the things that make me uncomfortable as well as things that push me to become the best version of myself, which is why I think I'm more fascinated with a shows and films about inexperienced teenagers and adults who are experiencing the same things I am, rather than action movies or films that fail the Bechdel test miserably.
I'm focused mainly on social media because I find it easiest to be myself. As opposed to creating a short film or taking photographs, I find that I can show who I am in my fashion and in my open and honest dialogue. I love to dress up and create new outfits because for me, it's not so much about attention or style as much as it is about the ways in which I can challenge myself to create something new or something different. I'm all about the 'TMI' - what's too much information for most people is never enough for me. I know how easy it can be to live a false life, and I think that should be saved for the films as opposed to the content that flood social media platforms every day. I've turned my Instagram page into a place where I can be open not only about my success but about my failure, especially. For me, there is no faking in anything that I do, and when I have conversations with friends about how my words make them feel it inspires me to keep talking. I constantly share my thoughts and opinions not because I feel the need to be heard, but because I want to start a conversation. If I could create something that mirrors my life and the lives of young adults like me, then that's what I want to do. I want to create media that challenges people of all ages and backgrounds to be the most authentic version of themselves.
Comments
Post a Comment